Sunday, May 7, 2017

20160329-0404 Chebanse, Tuscola, Eggner, Tunnel Hill

While going south along I-57, I passed a southbound CN local. So I got off at the Chebanse exit to head back north to see if I could catch pictures of it. This also gave me a chance to take pictures of the grain elevator that is north of the town.



While looking for a place to park, I found a one-row, horse-drawn corn planter.
The local is headed back north to the yard CN has around Otto. From I-57, I'll typically see a long cut of cars in that yard.

The reason for getting off and taking pictures is that the second engine, 1025,was still painted for Illinois Central.





There is an elevator into a corn crib out in the field. Thank goodness the camera's resolution is 24 mega-pixels and I can zoom in by cropping.
And I finally had my camera ready for a shot of the elevator into this corn crib. For many moons I would see it flash by. It is visible for only an "instant" at highway speeds.
I got off at Tuscola because I had read about the train junction on the west side of town. These junction pictures are explained in that posting.






I walked through the downtown because it does have some neat old buildings. Much better looking than the Outlet Mall buildings by the interstate.

Since the Cargill grain elevator was actively unloading its ground pile, I made a side trip from the side trip.



An overview shot looking north that gets both the new and old elevators in town.





I recently learned that this bridge is labeled BN instead of BNSF because BN abandoned it. In fact, this was the picture I was looking for that had me searching through my I-57 trip folders.
I always grab pictures from I-24 as I cross the Ohio River so that later I can check out the action. These are looking downstream and I can't find any action.


Eggner bridge construction













We are on the other side (east) of the bridge. Have parked in a lot and walked out on this breakwater to get some overview pictures of the upstream (north) side.






This may be a barge crane that is currently "parked" on the other side of the bridge approaches.
We are now approaching and going over the bridge over the Cumberland River. The pier foundation building equipment is done with the Eggner Bridge and has started work here.


Yellow foundation drill attachment for a crane. I'll need this for a posting on foundation piles.


In some of these pictures, you can see the temporary bridge just above the water that they have built to get men, machines and material to the pier construction sites.
This one is driving a pile. The driver is evidently air (pneumatic) powered because you can see the hose looping from the boom to the driver on top of the pile.


A stringer is above a steel pile that it helps lift.

Various "forest of cranes" shots from the east side of the Cumberland.


New we are headed back west across the bridges.







Yellow foundation drill attachment for a crane.
An an auger used at the end of the foundation drilling shaft.
New we are going back across the Eggner.




We went to a place upstream of the bridge to get side shots.



Then we went to a place downstream of the bridge. It was next to a bay that had this material unloading barge.


I walked along the bank to get around a bend to get a better shot of the bridge.




It wasn't an easy walk to get those clear shots of the bridge.


Back on the main road to leave the bridges.
I normally ask my wife to grab some shots when we take I-24 over the Ohio River so that I can look later to see if there were any tows moving on it. She must not have seen anything upstream because this is a downstream shot across the other lanes. Again, not much is happening.
Depot and Tunnel Hill Museum

I'llinois States visitor center for the Tunnel Hill State Trail. It was closed because the politicians can't pass a budget. I think they should have quit paying the governor and legislatures before they quit paying career state employees. (The governor is rich so his salary is noise anyhow. And I think our legislatures are part time jobs.)



A photos of pictures hanging in the town's visitor center.






On the back side you can see the big freight door on the right.
Now we turned out attention to the trail.

I took a lot of pictures of an old steel-girder railroad bridge because normally these views would be some serious tresspassing.




This would be a sprayer folded up for road transport.
Now we are on the trail going to the tunnel.
















On the road again, heading north. Grabbing some pictures of an interesting sky.


corn crib
Chebanse taken while northbound

No comments:

Post a Comment