Saturday, May 30, 2020

blogger link bug

I used the new blogger to copy and paste the paragraph below from https://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2020/05/steelworkers-park-and-blast-furnace.html

The edit session I was copying from had the URL
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/7577633936396294153/6051734377700828924


The southern park has been developed as Steelworkers Park. Read this page (update: the 2016 link is now broke. I'm glad I summarized the essence of the page) from the bottom to the top to learn how enough mud was moved from the bottom of Lake Peoria 168 miles downstream to create 4-feet of top soil to turn the slag fields into desirable vegetation. Also "biosolids" from the MWRD drying fields were used to help convert the land so that it could sustain plant life. (more update: I did find some new links about putting soil on top of slag: blog and technical report.)


Every hot link in that paragraph has the URL of the edit session rather than the URL I created it with. This screenshot after I click the "biosolids" link is an example of the wrong URL.





Below is the paragraph copied using the old version.

The southern park has been developed as Steelworkers Park. Read this page (update: the 2016 link is now broke. I'm glad I summarized the essence of the page) from the bottom to the top to learn how enough mud was moved from the bottom of Lake Peoria 168 miles downstream to create 4-feet of top soil to turn the slag fields into desirable vegetation. Also "biosolids" from the MWRD drying fields were used to help convert the land so that it could sustain plant life. (more update: I did find some new links about putting soil on top of slag: blog and technical report.)

This screenshot shows that it contains the expected URL content.





This bug puts my complaints about the inefficiency of using the new URL in perspective. I made those comments with the mind set that the guts of the URL code would at least work correctly. I have had my opinion of the Blogger software readjusted. This is the second bug I hit on May 30. I've already reported the bug of missing labels in the label menu. And I'm not using the new version heavily because the photo insertion is intolerable and because I haven't figured out how to find unlabeled posts. Imagine how many bugs I would find if I was using it heavily. Did you guys do any testing before you told the public they better try using it????

I need to be able to correctly cut and paste blog text because I do that for various reason:
1) to make a temporary backup copy.
2) to rearrange the photos in a post to put them in chronological order or some other order that becomes obvious after a few years of adding photos to the post.
3) to create new posts by moving content from one or more existing posts and then adding some new material. For example, I used to have one post for all of the Chicago railroad passenger stations. A couple of years later, I wrote a post for each of the six major stations and rewrote the original post to be an overview. Another example of a post being busted up into several posts is Griffin Junction. I cut and pasted a lot of content for both of these rewrites.


No comments:

Post a Comment