Saturday, October 15, 2016

20160721 Will County Farm Show

Pictures taken at the 2016 Will County Threshermen's Show.

The first time I took a picture on a hot, humid day soon after I got out of the air-conditioned van. Fortunately, the condensation dried off quickly. I lost just the picture of the manure spreader that they were using to collect the corn cob scraps.

These pictures were used in Shelling Corn.



An Avery separator.



I circled back to the corn sheller.


Spent a lot of time taking pictures of the really old tractors that they had lined up along the road. They were effectively advertisement for the show.


JD: Model 55 Combine. This was their first self-propelled unit, which was introduced in 1947.

This unit must have been later in the production run because it had safety shields. I spent a lot of time trying to get pictures of the "guts" behind the shields.

I got down low and shot up into the hood at the back of the combine so that you can see the "walkers."
When I take two of the same shot, it usually means that I discovered that I was not using the desired ISO setting. Sure enough, the above was at 1600 (indoor pictures) and below is at 400 (outdoor pictures).

I went back to ISO 1600 for this "inside shot." The walkers are above and the separator grid is at the bottom.
I had trouble getting shots of stuff behind the safety shields. I was trying to get a shot of the linkage that drives the separator back-and-forth. I couldn't figure out how it works because of bad views in the field and studying the pictures is not helping. In fact, this picture may not even be rotated correctly.
The above picture is closer to the ground than this next picture. I was practically lying on the ground to get the above shot.
I'm going to quit commenting because I'm was typing stuff that should go into a post.

This is the "steam tractor" area.
With a demonstration sawmill.
This is an overview of the tractor display area to try to capture the size of the show. I really did have the place to myself except for the people who were exhibiting.
YouTube.
JD: Model 42 pull combine




I skipped the John Deere and IH tractors to spend time on the really old and the articulated tractors.


Oliver: Super 88. OK, I couldn't resist the Oliver because I don't see many of them in Illinois.






Oliver: 990 Diesel. This is the one they were hooking the above plow to.

JD: A, unstyled

The 1206 caught my eye.

A difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
JD: 1964 3020. I took pictures of this JD because this is the first time I have seen a 3-point hitch plow hooked up to a tractor.



JD: 4520   Since digital pictures are cheap, I took its bigger brother because I could get a size comparison.
AC: 1954 WD-45


YouTube
YouTube
Like I implied, I spent a lot of time taking three pictures of every really old tractor.



























I do plan to do a posting on the articulated tractors because they had a whole row of them also.


More overviews


Back to the articulated. I didn't do three shots of each like I did the really old tractors.


MM: U, 1950    Like I said in other postings, I can't pass up a U because that was my Grandfather's "big tractor." The tractors at this show taught me that the layout of the clutch handle and some other details changed over the years.


MM: U    The clutch linkage on this one is more like what I remember.


IH: Far H, 1942    I took a picture of this H because it has a cultivator mounted: "Equipped with HM-221 gang shift cultivator." The sign documents:
- Originally a distillate fuel model, this tractor was converted to run on gasoline
- This tractor was used to cultivate nearly 50 acres of soybeans this year
The farmer must be raising "organic" soybeans for some premium market.


Hart-Parr and Oliver
AC: M100 road grader

JD: Model 30 pull combine
IH: Far 450     Still has McCormick above the Farmall name
This show had one of the biggest collections of Hart-Parr and Oliver tractors I have seen. (Oliver started out as a plow company and bought Hart-Parr to get into the tractor business.)

The DJ 30 again but walking along the other side of the display aisle and deciding it was worth a side picture as well.

I generally look up under the hood at the back of a combine.

More views of the Hart-Parrs

I never knew that MM tractors started out as grey.

MM: U   I went back and looked at the other one that had the same type of clutch handle. This is indeed a different (third) U at the show.


AC: WD-45, 1955
AC: B, 1950

JD: B, 1936 (unstyled)

AC: 20-35   That would be the claimed drawbar and belt horsepower.


Even if I had the time, these tractors were too crowded to take good pictures.
In the middle is a 656 labeled as a demonstrator that includes gold paint.
Even though this is supposed to be a photo dump posting, I cropped that one out because I know that demo gold tractors are special.



AC: All-Crop 72 Combine, 1963    Even though all of their competitors went "straight through," I see that AC kept the 90-degree turn in the grain flow into the 1960s. All-Crop 60 is the model I most often see old advertisements for. Used


YouTube

While the JD was getting ready to unload, an IH was in the middle of the field and the AC All Crop is near the left almost hidden by the wheat.
I took multiple pictures of the unloading to get some timestamps. This was at 4:23:52
4:24:46
Heard a new noise. The IH is on the left. It turns out that the combine on the right is a John Deere Model 55 built in 1949.
4:25:04
The All Crop is just to the left of the IH near the left side. The operator of the JD 55 is standing up and looking in the bin. Notice, no cab!
An M deadheading to the other end of the plowed part.
I fumbled around and caught about 2 seconds to document how fast he was moving in a field. He must have been in the road gear. YouTube



IH: grain wagon, you can see it is full. Also with just one hose it has a single-action hydraulic cylinder to dump it. Obviously gravity works quite well for the other direction --- wagon bed down.
When I saw there were no safety shields on this 1949 model, I wish I had seen it earlier instead of wasting all of that time on the new model 55 near the beginning of this collection.
Another overview shot
The other side of the 1949 Model 55.
The M was still going pretty fast considering it was pulling 4 bottoms. But I can't tell if they are 14-, 16- or 18-inch bottoms. YouTube

YouTube

JD: Two Model 55s and a 42.
The sawmill and steam tractor area from a different angle. Their happens to be a big John Deere articulated tractor in the background. I assume that JD belongs to the host and is not part of the show.
MM: GB



Since there was hardly anyone at the show, I went back onto the private property where they were going to unload the wagon. On my way, I came across the horse-drawn mower the host has on display.





Missing hydraulic check valve. There is more information in the description on YouTube.

YouTube
I see I did have enough sense to take a close up of the 1970 656 demonstrator.

I put the pin in for this wagon.







YouTube
And a dumping of the next wagon they brought in. It is rather redundant with the other videos, so I don't plan to upload this one to YouTube.
This was the dairy barn. I understand that it is now a "man cave."

No comments:

Post a Comment