Saturday, October 15, 2016

20160804-11 Pay Phone, Centralia1, Microwave Towers, Sycamore Show

The main feature of this trip was the 2016 Sycamore Steam Show and Threshing Bee. I thought I did a test and verified that it handled the videos OK. It uploads them to the selection folder OK, But it puts them in the blog as only a picture with an arrow. So I'm going to have learn how to get Movie Maker installed on my computers. In the meantime, I have uploaded several of the video files to my You Tube Channel. For example, the star of their show:




I like to kid that "railfans" are really "leading locomotive on a train fans." If you really are a railfan, here are some rails. This was parked in a rest stop along I-57.
 http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2014/09/dialing-phone-number.html#pay


The CN/IC yard that still has a roundhouse and coaling tower is south of Centralia, west of Wamac. There are no pictures of the roundhouse itself because the sun was a big orange ball right above the roof. I have since implemented my plan of staying in Salem, IL so that I could get some "morning sun" shots of the facilities. Stay tune for a link to those pictures.







This was along US-51 between Wamac and IL-154. In fact, I think it was south of IL-15. (I was avoiding delays on I-57 because of road work.) Since I was headed south and you can see the other lane, the tower would be east of the road. I have spent more time than I care to admit going up and down a satellite image trying to find it.
In our Super-8 room. Used in http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2016/09/harvest-hay-putting-loose-hay-in-mow.html

http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2014/08/long-distance-phone-microwave-towers.html#peace

http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2016/08/steam-tractor-powered-sawmills.html#sycamore

http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2014/09/dialing-phone-number.html#oldPhonehttp://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2014/09/dialing-phone-number.html
http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2016/08/2016-sycamore-steam-show-threshing-bee.html
This is the first time I have watched a "parade of power." I stood on the top-left row of the bleachers. Unfortunately, the announcer was at the other end of the commentary. So what he is saying generally applies to the previous tractor I videoed unless I'm looking way to the right. You might also see multiple views of the same equipment interspersed with other tractors that are parading by.



































































































































 I took some video of the sawmill and its tractor. You can at least see the smoke coming out of the stack. It made sense that they could not saw during the parade because the noise would interfere with the announcer.
I took just a sampling of the garden tractors.


 The only Cockshutt that I have seen outside of Ohio.
http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2016/08/1920-vilter-250-hp-tandem-compound.html







A really nice feature of this show is that the tractors are lined up for show under trees. Shade can be a big asset for a show in August.

















 I have no idea why this one blurred. What a bummer.

This was the only engine running and I was the only one around, so I was given permission to cross the rope and take a video of the side that has the governor.





MM: 1954 UB Propane, 40-50 HP. If I see a MM U, I take pictures of it because they are rather rare. I'm partial to them because that was the "big tractor" on my Grandfather's farm. If I remember correctly, it pulled four bottoms. It was used for the plow and combine. This is a double winner because I plan to do a posting on cultivators. This is the biggest one I have seen. (Largest number of rows.)


 JD: 1959 830 Diesel 90HP. This is the biggest, and last, putt-putt or Johnny Popper made.

 Oliver: 1958 Super 99 Diesel

 JD 1955 R    I believe this is the one the announce said during the Parade of Power that it had a factory original cab.


 MM: 1947 UTS 40 HP

 MM: 1949 UTU


MF: 85


 IH: 1961 560 Farmall
If you notice in the background, I no longer bother to take pictures of M and H Farmalls because I have taken so many at previous shows.

AC: (sign has been removed)  I don't know what is mounted on it. If it is a cultivator, all of the blades (shoes?) have been removed.


IH: I wish this one had a sign. It looks like it is a G-20 or a 6-20. It still has McCormick-Deering above the Farmall name.



 JD: 1959 730 Diesel 65 HP


 JD: misc
IH: 1937 W-30 McCormick-Deering



M-H: 1948 Model 30 21 HP  Interesting, the sign said "Built Racine, WI." Did Racine make both Case and M-H?


While I was taking pictures of the tractors, this tractor headed out to do some work, so I switched to video. This one is on YouTube. It shows that it can be tricky to get the piston in the correct place so that it moves forward.
Rumely: Oil Pull


There was steam action out in the field, so I went into "high speed" mode. Otherwise, since these are the first Fordsons I have seen in the Midwest, I would have tried for my standard "two from the front and one from the back" format.






 M-H: Challenger with "Twin Power"


 These two subsoil breaking videos are part of my JI Case posting.






 Some of these were added to the "manure spreader" post.



 Search Concrete Microwave Towers for "Plato".


No comments:

Post a Comment