Friday, September 30, 2016

Threshers/Separators



Three screenshots from a video showing a thresher that can handle two horse-drawn wagons at the same time. But note at -1:32 that a relatively modern looking truck is hauling the grain away.

Screenshot

Screenshot, scale used to keep track of how much has been shelled

Screenshot
Screenshot from video of Allis threshing machine
Jerry Harrel posted
From my grandfather near Moundridge, KS.
[Note the water tank. When done for real rather than at a steam show, the tractor needs a lot of water and you make a big pile of straw.]
Tom Miller posted
[This one not only has a water tank, but I assume the wagon is for the coal.]

Gene Niewoehner posted
McCormick Deering thresher. Manufactured in 1927 and was used until about 1957 when it was retired and left outside. 1927 was the first year the all steel was made I believe. The early feeder on it was a slightly different design than was used in later years. I put a long conveyor from a later machine on it. It is equipped with babbit bearings (except for the cylinder and blower) and grease cups. It runs very quiet. The hart elevator has wooden sides. In 1987 it was adopted by me repaired and restored. Spent the next 35 years demonstrating here on the farm and then at our antique equipment show. It again needed an overhaul in 2023  (not as extensive) and I finished it this last week.  It also received four new belts and other overdue repairs. It should be ready for the next 30 years. I suspect they will be more restful years than work. I set it by the barn, where I used to demonstrate it, for this photo opportunity.😉This will be my last thresher overhaul, as I have done five of them. I am keeping this one. 22 X 38

There is a Threshers, Binders, and early harvesting machinery Facebook group.

Andy Glines posted two photos with the comment: "Here is my 32X52 Keck Gonnerman "Indiana Special" threshing machine.  We have used it about half a dozen times.  The first few times I was really happy with how well it worked even if it did crack the grain a little more than I would like.  I did lower the concaves a notch to try and help.  Last summer, when we threshed, I started getting a lot of straw in the grain pans and I don't think that any straw at all should be down there.  Straw is even getting into the clean grain auger.  I can't figure out what has changed to cause this.  Any ideas?"
[The comments are interesting.]
1

2

Posting of a couple of videos of an old gas tractor driving a thresher.

No comments:

Post a Comment